Thursday, May 8, 2008

Portrait of a Wanna Be President

After Tuesday's primaries, there has been much talk about Hillary Clinton and if it is mathematically possible for her to become the nominee for the Democratic Party. Senator Clinton has been very adamant that "it ain't over until it's over" and she is going to see this through to the end. I admire Senator Clinton and her determination, but why don't we look past the primaries and general election into the future when Senator Clinton is President. I think we look at the Senator's performance and attitudes during the election to get a good portrait of how she will be as the Commander in Chief.

What makes me nervous about this portrait is what I've seen so far from Hillary. I don’t believe she has painted a very good picture of herself and how she, as President, would bring this country together after 8 years of division. A big criticism of the current administration is that they do what they want and then ask questions later. I don't see this being any different in Hillary. The attitude of what will happen with the delegates from Michigan and Florida and the Clinton campaign crying “foul” after an agreement had been settled that those delegates wouldn’t count, gives a good snapshot of what may happen. She is very strong minded, which is needed to be President, but is also not willing to budge on issues or arguments – prime example, not exiting the race. While Clinton One (that would be Bill) I thought was very good to broker agreements and work with many to accomplish legislation and policy, I don't see that same characteristic in Hillary. Of course the same charisma of Clinton One is not there, and maybe that is where it all starts for me.

0 comments: