Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Facebook

I would like to think I have my finger directly on the pulse of new technology, music, restaurants in my fair city, etc - which means that I've known about Facebook and MySpace for several years. The boom of social networking sites has been huge, and lately more and more people have been talking about these sites to me and all the people they have reconnected with after joining.


Ultimately, I am not a person who likes to be "found". The people I am friends with from high school and college, have been my friends for a very long time and I've chosen to keep them in my life. Others, not so much. I am the person you see at the mall when you go home for the holidays who will actually turn around and go in the opposite direction if spotted. I am not sure why people feel a need to bond with you because you've gone to the same high school/college. Yes, I am as curious as the next person when it comes to "where are they now" but I think that is where it ends. I don't have much of a burning desire to connect or reconnect with individuals in my past. I'll be the first to readily admit that I have issues and this would probably be the main reason why I haven't yet signed up for Facebook or My Space, until today and I am still not convinced.

Some, not all ,of my friends have Facebook pages. In fact I got a call from my cousin in Greece who asked me if I Facebook. The deal closer for me and Facebook was one of my favorite artists sent an email that he is now of Facebook. So I thought I would give it a try. Filled in all my information, registered for Facebook and away I went. It took me a while to get the information inputed and actually couldn't find a decent picture of myself to put on my page, so I skipped all that and went to "Find people" I started with my high school. Of those from my graduating class, only one person I cared enough about to see what they were up to, but not enough to make them my "friend". College. The same thing. I didn't get any farther than that, because Realpolitik toddler woke up from his nap. So the jury is still out if Facebook will be in, or "ouft".

0 comments: