Friday, June 13, 2008

My Sundays

Much to my mother and probably priest's chagrin, a majority of my Sundays for the past several of years has not included church but rather a big cup of coffee, the Chicago Tribune, and for one hour Meet the Press. As I am sure you know by now, I love the show and it's host Tim Russert. So today when I flipped on the television, I took the news of Tim Russert's death pretty hard. Partly because I think I secretly would have liked to be Tim Russert, in terms of being a journalist asking great questions about politics to politicians, but also because he wasn't only a journalist, and political junkie but a good son, father, sports enthusiast and all around nice man. When I worked in D.C. I happened to be in an elevator with him once, and while we just exchanged "hello's", I could sense that he was a genuinely nice man.

I am not sure what my Sundays will be like now, the coffee and the Trib will always be there, it's Tim Russert on Meet the Press that I will miss the most. I am sure Father George will probably see a little more of me on Sundays, but when Sunday afternoon rolls around and I want something to talk about with friends I won't have Mr. Russert's good hard hitting questions to quote to help make my point.

0 comments: