Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bitter Unity?

Ok, so while on vacation I've given myself 15 minutes of surfing. After going to a few of my favorite blogs, I moved on to the news of the day (I have my priorities you know). Well I am not sure exactly what day yet, since an 8 hour time difference makes my days and nights all disconbobulated at the moment, but I digress.

My local paper not giving me all the information I was looking for - except to see that my beloved Chicago Cubs are winning on the road, I purused the New York Times, and came across an article of how the Obama and Clinton campaigns are trying to work together to bring unity to the party. So let's discuss blow by blow.

1. Harden Hillary supporters are still up in arms over Obama clinching the nomination and will not support Obama. my response.....get over yourselves! What are the reasons? Is it policy or experienced based? Or is it that you just don't like him. We, as democrats, need as much support and unity as we can get if we want to win in November. Let's all remember the end result.

2. This "symbolic" gesture of Obama writing a check to the Clinton campaign to help her out with her $+12 million debt. Seriously?! Like this woman and her husband don't have enough money to pay off their own debt. Didn't they start a website to ask people for money to help them with their Whitewater legal bills? Why not do the same now? Quick question, would she write him a check, symbolicly showing that she is behind him?

3. Obama hiring Clinton's people for his own campaign. One gripe Clinton supporters have is that " Mr. Obama’s campaign had made only a perfunctory effort to hire Clinton staff members; the Clinton campaign payroll is ending for most employees in less than a week." Don't we all know that when we work for a campaign that there is a 50/50 chance that you'll be out of a job? Isn't this the chance to take when working for a campaign. Surely they can't be claiming they are poor.

4. I am going to end with this, because I could go on and on and on about this article but this one struck me as a little off. "They are discussing whether Mr. Obama’s campaign will provide a plane and staff for Mrs. Clinton as she travels on his behalf." Does this sound like she wants to be paid off for endorcing Obama. To me it sounds as though she is thinking "well, if he wants me to go away and support him, then he is going to have to pay me for it" Who talks like that?! Do any other people who endorse a candidate get their own plane and staff? Hitch a ride with Obama?! I am sure the DNC has some money to help her out, but maybe it's beneath her to not only endorse the soon to be Democratic nominee, but also any other democrat that might be in that particular state, district, etc.

Obviously I have my own unity issues with Hillary Clinton and her supporters. Hey, if they want to have their own party- go ahead. They seem to know what's better anyway. But come November when we are still going to be stuck in this war, our gas is going to cost $6 a gallon and we aren't any better off, you'll see a "don't blame me my mam voted for Obama" bumpersticker on realpolitik toddler's Sit and Stroll.

0 comments: