Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Role Models

I began this post several weeks before the election but didn't know how to address the issue of role models for girls when it comes to public service, but now I think I have my answer. I could go back into history and name off many women, but I'll keep it to those women who have been in the headlines over the past couple of years.


Governor Sarah Palin: Not a role model for young girls looking to get into public service. A pretty face and coming off folksy can only get you so far after that, you've got to know your stuff. Being prepared and knowing the issues are key to being in the pubic spotlight, which will then bring confidence to those who are your followers and soon to be supporters. "You bettcha" isn't good English either.


Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice: Role Model. Here is a woman that young women can look up to. She is highly educated, knows her stuff and is just a well rounded individual. Hey, if you are going to be a Republican, this is the female Republican to look up to.


Senator Hillary Clinton: Not a Role / Role Model This is the woman where you want to pick and choose her characteristics that you want your young daughter to emulate. A very smart woman who definitely knows her stuff, but sometimes steps over the line. Senator Clinton while as a professional woman has been very successful, it's the power hungry-ness and sense of entitlement that bothers me.


Michelle Obama: Role Model There is still a lot to see of what Michelle Obama makes of her First Lady status. But as a working successful woman and mother there isn't much about Michelle Obama not to like. She is highly educated, is very well spoken, knows what she is talking about and an all around strong woman.


Christine Todd Whitman: Role Model Ok, I dig this woman. I've blogged about her before as a potential VP candidate for McCain -he obviously doesn't read my blog. Governor Whitman isn't shy about giving her point of view and as we all know got her fired from the Bush II Administration cabinet. As the other women above, she is strong willed and educated and definitely someone who (if I ever have a daughter) I would use as a role model for young women seeking to go into public service.

I could go on and on and on, and I know I've missed many other women that you might find worthy of Role Model status. Please, let me know who you would add and we will continue this discussion.

0 comments: