Monday, September 22, 2008

Taking it to the Kitchens

I've been a little out of it lately and haven't read, blogged or done much else for the past couple of weeks. Part of it is realpolitik toddler hasn't been napping, so I haven't had much time to sit and read and blog. But miraculously today, we are napping, so time to blog.

Women, women, women. Like 1996, 2000,and 2004, women, and specifically mothers will make the difference in this year's campaign. We moms have been courted time and time again and this year isn't any different and I am not sure how I feel about it. I understand the demographic that each campaign is trying to get to and introducing their candidate to this demographic, but I think I am insulted the way both have gone about it. Senator and Cindy McCain on Rachel Ray and Michelle Obama on Paula Deen's show , does this mean that this is the only type of television that mother's watch? Cooking shows? Now I understand that it is to show a different side to the candidates, actually just to Senator McCain, since Barack Obama wasn't on Deen's show, but I would be curious to see some numbers on if individuals that stay home, like mothers, that will actually base their opinions on who they will vote for by how the candidate or significant other of the candidate performed on a let's face it, a talk show. Again, I understand widening the base and it makes for riveting TV, to watch Senator McSame (McCain) make his rib recipe, but yet again I am a little bothered by the indication that is how I and other mothers get to know the candidates.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Tia and I am an editor at Opposing Views. I came across your site, liked what I read, and wanted to introduce us because we both write about political issues.
Opposingviews.com is a debate site where experts go head-to-head on a variety of topics. With Election Day approaching, our experts are discussing some of the most interesting and high-profile ballot initiatives from across the U.S. I encourage you to check out those of interest:
I believe you and your visitors will appreciate these debates and might want to weigh in with votes or comments. If you like our site, I would appreciate it if you blog about us or give us a link to the debates. You can create a profile page giving readers information and links to your site. Or, if it is easier, I can do this for you. In the near future we’ll add a blogosphere section to each debate so we can directly feature outside blogs like yours.
Thanks for the time and consideration. Let me know if you have any questions or recommendations for experts or debates.
Tia
www.opposingviews.com